From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DNS Issues [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: Slow Login, Sudo, etc.]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:31:02
1 On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:17:02PM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:59:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Seriously, just use wicd, dump the rest.
6 > >
7 > > +1
8 >
9 > Call me old-fashioned, I use wpa_supplicant. :)
10
11 Actually, I'll call you confused :)
12
13 Comparing wpa_supplicant and wicd is comparing the apples to, uh, pig,
14 I guess. wpa_supplicant provides the user-end of the WPA
15 authentication process; wicd provides a system of managing networks.
16 In fact, wicd calls wpa_supplicant on networks encrypted that way.
17
18 It would be more proper for you to say (if it is true), that you
19 prefer to issue the '/etc/init.d/net.something start' commands by
20 hand. That will make you properly curmudgeonly.
21
22 I was that way once. But after using one flaky network too many
23 (it is mighty annoying to have to open a console and type
24 '/etc/init.d/net.eth1 restart' every five minutes), I've since
25 converted to wicd too.
26
27 HTH,
28
29 W
30 --
31 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
32 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
33 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton