From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ati-drivers slowly working through issues
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:40:49
1 \o/ woot \o/
2
3 thy fglrx woes have been fix-ed!
4
5 for the curious reading now or later, I had to do quite a strange
6 process. Due I think to upgrading kernels, ati-drivers, and all-sorts
7 of things I had to delete some stuff manually:
8
9 1. uninstall ati-drivers
10 2. troll around the filesystem and delete anything with fglrx in
11 the name! There was lots of stuff
12 in /usr/lib, /usr/share, /etc, etc! Also
13 deleted /lib/modules/.../fglrx.ko
14 3. delete some broken lib links (that were pointing
15 to /someting/ati/something which no longer existed). These
16 included:
17 /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
18 /usr/lib/libGL.so
19 4. ran `sudo eselect opengl set xorg-x11` which now worked
20 (wouldn't before)
21 5. reconfigure X for the kernel's radeon driver. restart X. DRI
22 wasn't working with the kernel radeon driver, so I had to
23 recompile the kernel, add drm, radeon, install, reboot a couple
24 of times
25 6. once glxinfo reported direct rendering, I then re-installed
26 ati-drivers
27 7. reconfigure X with fglrx module instead of radeon
28 8. run `sudo eselect opengl set ati`, restart X and voila!
29
30 Who would have thought it was so simple!
31
32 at last, I get some decent frame rates with the new driver. All my
33 screensavers work (no SHM issues as I was having before) no segfaults.
34 Aaaahhh, sweet. Let's hope it doesn't all change too soon!
35
36 thanks everyone for the tips,
40 You will engage in a profitable business activity.
44 If the very old will remember, the very young will listen.
45 -- Chief Dan George
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list