From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome 3 has landed
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:38:17
1 On 11/26/2011 02:11 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 2011-11-26 22:56, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
3 >
4 >> Let me get this straight: if I want to somehow stay in the world of
5 >> gnome-2.32 (panels, desktop, etc) I could simply avoid masking any of
6 >> the new stuff and use the mentioned gnome-fallback-setting?
7 >>
8 >> I also hesitate to leave my comfort zone ... ;-) (and I am on ~amd64 as
9 >> well).
10 >
11 > I think I will keep on masking ...
12 >
13 > http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-fallback.html for example
14 > tells me there are no applets, no desktop-behavior that I am used to.
15
16 That's where I learned about fallback-mode, but you can indeed install
17 panel applets like system-monitor, weather, clock, etc and add panel
18 icons to start your favorite apps.
19
20 One *very* important thing to know, however: To do things like move
21 your panel icons around and add new ones, you must alt-right-click
22 on the panel instead of just plain right-click. Took me a while to
23 google that one. (This works only in fallback mode, BTW.)
24
25 I'd say gnome3 is definitely better now than kde4 was when it first
26 launched. (But that's faint praise indeed :)