From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 02:45:17
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 03/30 09:23, Dale wrote:
3 >> Adam Carter wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 >>> <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Howdy,
8 >>>
9 >>> I been holding off on upgrading Firefox.  Basically, it breaks addons
10 >>> that I just can't go without.  Tab groups and some other tab utilities
11 >>> are among them.  I recently updated temporarily to see just what was
12 >>> going to be broken and what I could do to adjust.  It seems some have
13 >>> alternatives but some don't.
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> The firefox ebuilds are out of date at the moment (
17 >>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/650472 ) so its probably not worth upgrading
18 >>> until that issue is fixed, unless you use the mozilla overlay.
19 >>>
20 >> My biggest problem is that addons are broken on anything 57 and above.
21 >> At least that seems to be the version that stops old addons from
22 >> working.  Would the latest release have a way for the old addons to
23 >> work?  If not, then it doesn't matter if it is 58, 59 or 60.
24 >>
25 >> Basically, I'm trying to figure out if others are doing like I am and
26 >> keeping a older version of Firefox installed because of the addons no
27 >> longer working.  If someone has been able to find comparable addons to
28 >> the ones that no longer work on the newer Firefox versions, I'd like to
29 >> know that as well.  Right now, I'm sticking with older versions of
30 >> Firefox.  I don't like the security problems that may cause but it is
31 >> what it is.
32 >>
33 >> Since I posted the message above, I've looked into Palemoon, Vivaldi,
34 >> Opera and dug around to see what else I can try.  So far, none of them
35 >> can do what pre 57 versions of Firefox can with the addons I use.
36 >>
37 >> Just trying to get ideas and info on this mess.
38 >>
39 >> Dale
40 >>
41 >> :-)  :-)
42 > Hi,
43 >
44 > I switched to waterfox for privacy reasons and it supports the older
45 > plugin system.
46 > No need to stay to older version (keeping older bugs, which may
47 > affect seurity) ...
48 >
49 > Waterfox is opensourced and it has a smaller memory footprint.
50 >
51 > https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/
52 >
53 > No advertising intended...I am only an user.
54 >
55 > Cheers!
56 > Meino
59 I ran up on a site where that was talked about.  It's not in the tree
60 tho.  How did you install it?  Is it just download and run it from
61 command line or a manual addition to the menu system?  Is there a
62 overlay with it in it?  While I like Firefox, the memory hog that it
63 sometimes is, I'm not opposed to switching to something else.
64
65 Thanks for the info.
66
67 Dale