From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Abut smb:// aware tools
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:28:01
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
4 [...]
5
6 >>>
7 >>> Well, it sounds like you know more about the subject than I do, but
8 >>> do you know about smbmount that comes as part of samba? Seems to me
9 >>> like that's what you're asking for.
10 >>
11 >> I had forgotten about smbmount but that too is not the same as being
12 >> able to cd around with cd //host/share...
13 >
14 > Hm. I'm wondering if you come from a Windows background and are new
15 > to the world of *ix?
16
17 I started my computer life on linux 1996.. only moved to windows for
18 some things when editing video (I like the adobe tools... and linux
19 just doesn't have anything remotely comparable.)
20
21 I admit having a very thick skull, but I also have quite a lot of time
22 on linux and solaris...so a little has soaked into even my thick
23 skull.
24
25 It took me quite a while to learn much about windows. And it still
26 seems horribly awkward... especially when moving around in the file
27 system. Its so much slower and time wasting to have to navigate by
28 clickety clack in something like the navigation windows that open for
29 on most applications..
30
31 I most windows applications, if you want to load a new file... the
32 navigation starts at My Documents... a place where just about nothing
33 I do should be kept. So you must navigate to wherever it is over and
34 over, while working on windows. I do know a few short cuts to use
35 but still the basic fact is that overtime a very lot of time goes
36 into just moving around on winows.
37
38 > ...... That's the only way I can make sense of the
39 > paragraph above.
40
41 Maybe because you left out most of it?
42
43 >> I had forgotten about smbmount but that too is not the same as being
44 >> able to cd around with cd //host/share
45 >> smbmount adds another layer of complexity... and something more to
46 >> umount or maintain in mounted state... would also add a few more
47 >> characters to each address.
48
49 > In order to cd to a file system (like smbfs) that file system must
50 > first be 'mounted' on a mount-point e.g. /mnt/ or /shares/ or wherever
51 > you choose to put it. That mounting can be automated and transparent
52 > to the user, as Dirk said, but it must be done somehow before you can
53 > cd to it.
54
55 Hence my comment "smbmount adds another layer of complexity..."
56 Hence my comment "would also add a few more characters to each
57 address."
58
59 Someone has to configure it... and manintain it thru a new install.
60 If or when that comes up. It may not be terribly difficult... but it
61 does need to be done.
62
63 > Just like partitons like /root, /var, /tmp, /usr, /home and the rest
64 > must be mounted before they can be used by anyone, including the OS.
65 > This is done automatically during bootup so you don't need to do it
66 > yourself. Same with network shares.
67
68 Its done automatically only if you make that happen by some
69 configuration. It may be worth it though... and like I said.. I'd
70 forgotten about smbmount and really have never gotten envolved with
71 automounting things...other than one major nfs share keep on a solaris
72 zfs server.
73
74 automounting is somewhat new in linux... it was not commonly used when
75 I started out.
76
77 > I hope I'm not misunderstanding and giving you an unneeded lecture :o)
78
79 Its always a good thing to have the basics hammered into your head.
80
81 You might notice that most boxing matches are won by really basic
82 techniques like keeping that jab out there. Or slipping punches that
83 would really do damage if you didn't know how to move with it when you
84 can.
85
86 So no harm revisiting basic stuff.
87
88 Maybe you didn't notice my reference to cygwin bash on windows being
89 able to navigate via UNC.
90
91 It takes only creating shares to offer thru samba, for cygwin bash to
92 be able to navigate them with cd //host/share. No mounting, or if
93 there is, I didn't have to specifically configure it.
94
95 Smb is native to windows... so maybe that is the reason.