From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anything better than procmail?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:16:37
1 On 2010-06-13 6:37 PM, David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:20:02 +0200, Tanstaafl wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] Anything better than procmail?:
4 >
5 >> On 2010-06-12 5:17 PM, David W Noon wrote:
6 >>> I wanted the messages to be stored in a single, dedicated
7 >>> logical volume in my DASD farm. Dovecot always stored them in
8 >>> each user's ~/Mail/ directory, so they were all over the /home
9 >>> L.V.
10
11 >> Dovecot will store them where you tell it to. You could have
12 >> easily stored them all in a single directory like
13 >> /var/virtual/mail/user, or even used a hashed directory scheme
14 >> (which might be desirable for very large installations like
15 >> ISPs)...
16
17 > IIRC, that means that I have to give universal write access, perhaps
18 > with a "sticky" bit, on that directory.
19
20 Don't be absurd. Yanrc (you are not remembering correctly). No sane
21 software would require that, much less mail server software.
22
23 > The database approach makes much more sense from a security point of
24 > view,
25
26 Ridiculous...
27
28 > as nobody accesses the filesystem directly, except the database
29 > manager.
30
31 And in the case of dc, nobody accesses the mail store except the mail
32 user you designated, and with only enough permissions to get the job
33 done and no more.
34
35 >> Storing mail in a database sounds interesting, but it *will*
36 >> introduce a very noticeable performance hit, there is simply no way
37 >> around it...
38
39 > Actually, it doesn't.
40
41 Actually, it does.
42
43 You may be correct for a mail system with only a few low volume users,
44 but on a real mail server, with many hundreds or thousands of users
45 (many of which are heavy/power users), there is no way a DB could
46 compete with a filesystem.
47
48 Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't work - even reasonably well - I'm just
49 saying there *would* be a performance hit, and the resource requirements
50 would be greater as well.
51
52 > But this is Gentoo. We get new releases when the Gentoo dev's allow
53 > the new package through.
54
55 But this is gentoo - you can write your own ebuild, right? ;) j/k, I get
56 that answer too often, I just couldn't resist.
57
58 That said, thankfully dc is reasonably well supported in gentoo...
59
60 That said... does anyone know of a repo that provides good quality up to
61 date builds of dovecot - maybe even including the 2.0 betas?
62
63 >>> Sieve is also integrated into dbmail.
64
65 >> And dovecot... and 2.0 will have even better integration.
66
67 > But I have that now. ... :-)
68
69 I know, but your words suggested that it wasn't integrated into dc, so I
70 was just pointing out yet another incorrect assumption on your part.
71
72 > You sound like a Microsoft zealot from the 1990's, where the next
73 > release of your favourite product will have every feature imaginable
74 > -- and totally debugged too!
75
76 ? no need for insults, asshole - I could say the same thing about how
77 you are praising your dbmail setup.
78
79 I'm just pointing out your apparently bad info on dovecot...
80
81 Oh - and procmail sucks balls...