From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:21:20
1 jfmxl <jfmxl@×××.ORG> wrote:
2 > I wrote a coupla days ago, using the guest interface at the website ...
3
4 I do not know what you mean by "guest interface".
5 One right place for your support question would be the
6 gentoo forum "Installing Gentoo":
7 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-14.html
8
9 > but the kernel failed to mount root.
10
11 This can have many reasons. More informations are needed.
12 According to this:
13
14 > looked at /etc/fstab, but found a /dev/ram0 and a
15 > /proc and nothing like what I'd entered ...
16
17 you are probably using an initrd which you must have built and entered
18 into grub (or grub2?) somewhere. Are you perhaps using genkernel to build
19 such an initrd? I had used genkernel only once many years ago,
20 and remember that you have to specify your root filesystem
21 with the kernel parameter real_root=...
22 If you do not use genkernel, you should pass the correct root partition
23 with the kernel parameter root=...
24 In the latter case, be sure that you have the filesystem support
25 as well as the disk processor code compiled into the kernel
26 (i.e. not as a module).
27
28 > that is if I'm not already blackballed
29 > for somehow not holding my mouth right.
30
31 Why do you think that it should be problem to ask a support question,
32 especially in a friendly way? There is no reason to stay anonymous.