From: jfmxl <jfmxl@×××.ORG>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:07:35
1 On 2015-08-17 17:20, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > jfmxl <jfmxl@×××.ORG> wrote:
3 >> I wrote a coupla days ago, using the guest interface at the website
4 >> ...
5 >
6 > I do not know what you mean by "guest interface".
7 > One right place for your support question would be the
8 > gentoo forum "Installing Gentoo":
9 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-14.html
12 Thanks for the speedy reply. I got to the 'wrong' place by clicking the
13 link to under 'Where to go from here'
14 at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Finalizing
15 after the machine failed to boot. That led me to
16 https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/mailing-lists/, where the big,
17 purple, and welcome 'Post to Gentoo User'
18 button caught my eye. It looked inviting, and so I used it.
19
20 >> but the kernel failed to mount root.
21 >
22 > This can have many reasons. More informations are needed.
23 > According to this:
24 >
25 >> looked at /etc/fstab, but found a /dev/ram0 and a
26 >> /proc and nothing like what I'd entered ...
27 >
28 > you are probably using an initrd which you must have built and entered
29 > into grub (or grub2?) somewhere. Are you perhaps using genkernel to
30 > build
31 > such an initrd?
34 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Optional:_Building_an_initramfs
35
36 To install an initramfs, install sys-kernel/genkernel first, then
37 have it generate an initramfs:
38 root #emerge genkernel
39 root #genkernel --install initramfs
40
41 So yes, that's what I did, apparently. I was working from one enormously
42 long Handbook, and the one I find now is broken into sections, but it
43 looks generally the same. I remembered
44
45 > I had used genkernel only once many years ago,
46 > and remember that you have to specify your root filesystem
47 > with the kernel parameter real_root=...
48 > If you do not use genkernel, you should pass the correct root partition
49 > with the kernel parameter root=...
50 > In the latter case, be sure that you have the filesystem support
51 > as well as the disk processor code compiled into the kernel
52 > (i.e. not as a module).
53
54 Since I installed the whole system to a qemu 'partition' inside a binary
55 file I have no access to what I've done or failed to do. So I guess I'm
56 just out of luck? I guess I will make a real DVD from the .iso and go
57 through the whole drill again on real hardware when I get it set up
58 tomorrow. It is a very long process only to come to ought, though. One
59 more chance is probably my last.
62 >> that is if I'm not already blackballed
63 >> for somehow not holding my mouth right.
64 >
65 > Why do you think that it should be problem to ask a support question,
66 > especially in a friendly way? There is no reason to stay anonymous.
67
68 Well, I pushed the big friendly purple button and sent off my plea for
69 help, and waited and waited, and still have not seen my original post
70 appear on this list. You should remove that button if no one bothers to
71 moderate the posts it generates. The people who push it get their first
72 impression of the 'community' when they are in trouble and are ignored.
73 You know what they say about first impressions. Get rid of that button!
74 Or read and moderate the posts it generates.