From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: installation failure
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:04:10
1 jfmxl <jfmxl <at> SDF.ORG> writes:
4 > Since I installed the whole system to a qemu 'partition' inside a binary
5 > file I have no access to what I've done or failed to do. So I guess I'm
6 > just out of luck? I guess I will make a real DVD from the .iso and go
7 > through the whole drill again on real hardware when I get it set up
8 > tomorrow. It is a very long process only to come to ought, though. One
9 > more chance is probably my last.
10
11 Hello jfmxl,
12
13 Gentoo is rewarding and awesome, no doubts on that; but the requisite
14 'pain' first endured during the installation is a subject of much heated
15 debate recently, and this is not the first time. So, from me, *OUR* deepest
16 apologies. We are working on the organization and initial appeal of gentoo,
17 as well as some more streamlined installation options for those new to gentoo.
20 Perhaps you should first embark on a traditional HD type of install
21 and avoid the 'vm' for now; that is if you have such resources to
22 work with. It does make following the handbook install more straightforward,
23 imho.
26 Then the file system you are to use for a simple /boot, /, and swap
27 configuration, which is the default in the handbook. Plan your FS layout
28 as well as grub1 vs grub2 and the (u)efi vs mbr status of your mobo.
31 Perhaps others will ask you a few complementary questions so we can nail
32 down all of the key decisions before you begin an installation?
35 There are 'live' version of gentoo about that can allow you to test drive
36 gentoo before installation. Perhaps one of those, with persistence (the
37 ability to add codes) might better suit you initially?
40 You also might want to try the 'calculate linux' [1,2,3] install medium
41 and just change the profile and a few other tricks to end up with
42 a native gentoo install on an actual HD?
45 hth,
46 James
47
48 [1] http://www.calculate-linux.org/boards/15/topics/25561