From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:00:39
1 On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 02:14:07 -0300
2 Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > deface wrote:
5 > > If you want a new release, just emerge --sync. :)
6 >
7 > Not true. 2006.1 doesn't boot on my hardware. I needed to bootstrap
8 > on an old box, then swap hard drives. Not very friendly.
9 >
10 > We (I) need 2007.0 ASAP.
11 >
12 > Regards,
13 > Norberto
14
15 As has been said, the installation CD does not need to be specifically
16 a Gentoo cd, although it seems worth repeating that it _does_ have to
17 support the same architecture. This isn't usually a big deal unless a
18 chip supports multiple architectures, ie x86_64 can run x86 code. But
19 it can't run both at once unless it has the right libs and - gasp -
20 livecd's don't.
21
22 Some people on the gentoo forums also updated a disk image a little
23 so that they could boot it on their nice new computers. You should be
24 able to find it without too much difficulty on the forums.
25
26 It's definitely a good thing to have the official releases come out
27 when ready. Buggy discs are a lot worse publicity than being behind
28 schedule.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list