From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:16:25
1 On 4/16/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 02:14:07 -0300
3 > Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > > deface wrote:
6 > > > If you want a new release, just emerge --sync. :)
7 > >
8 > > Not true. 2006.1 doesn't boot on my hardware. I needed to bootstrap
9 > > on an old box, then swap hard drives. Not very friendly.
10 > >
11 > > We (I) need 2007.0 ASAP.
12 > >
13 > > Regards,
14 > > Norberto
15 >
16 > As has been said, the installation CD does not need to be specifically
17 > a Gentoo cd, although it seems worth repeating that it _does_ have to
18 > support the same architecture. This isn't usually a big deal unless a
19 > chip supports multiple architectures, ie x86_64 can run x86 code. But
20 > it can't run both at once unless it has the right libs and - gasp -
21 > livecd's don't.
22 >
23 > Some people on the gentoo forums also updated a disk image a little
24 > so that they could boot it on their nice new computers. You should be
25 > able to find it without too much difficulty on the forums.
26
27 http://www.kernel-of-truth.net/downloads_kOT.html
28
29 I used it to get things up and running amd64 with the new JMicron
30 drivers, worked like a charm (ot: in stark contrast to the windows
31 install, which eventually required a *floppy* to load
32 drivers...slackware flashbacks ;) ).
33
34 If you're worried about compatibility with a new rig, searching the
35 forums for hardware (Asus P5B in my case) often turns up the poor
36 souls who found bugs the hard way, allowing cowards like me to benefit
37 from their hard work.
41 Ryan W Sims
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list