From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:31:04
1 On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:10:27 +0400, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > ...
4 >> As has been said, the installation CD does not need to be specifically
5 >> a Gentoo cd, although it seems worth repeating that it _does_ have to
6 >> support the same architecture. ...
7 >
8 > http://www.kernel-of-truth.net/downloads_kOT.html
11 I agree that "the installation CD does not need to be specifically a
12 Gentoo cd", but I believe that it should be always possible to use it for
13 installation, even when workarounds are available. The only argument that
14 explains why it is currently not the fact is the inability to sustain
15 quarterly release schedule. It looks like everybody, me too, agrees that
16 it is a very good reason to switch to semi-annual releases, but please
17 note that the very fact that quarterly releases were started is a proof
18 that they are desirable.
19
20 I guess the problem here is that the Gentoo Minimal Installation CD
21 release is linked to the Gentoo Installer LiveCD release and to the Gentoo
22 Reference Platform release. If the minimal CD is released quarterly or,
23 better, whenever new hardware hits the shelves, the experience of new
24 Gentoo users will be better.
27 Andrei Gerasimenko
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list