From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAN-Speed readout/control ???
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:09:41
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-12 11:32]:
3 >
4 >> meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi Andrea, Hi Dale,
7 >>>
8 >>> Before I post my question I did, what you have suggested, Andrea.
9 >>> Sensors-detect reports the it87 chip to be included as module/in the
10 >>> kernel, which I did -- but the driver does not produces any output
11 >>>
12 >>> AMD k10 was already in and reports everything -- only the fan stuff
13 >>> was missing, which (normall) the ITE (it87) chip is used for.
14 >>>
15 >>> The version of lm_sensors, which is in portage reports here "driver to
16 >>> be written" but the svn-version of lm_sensors seems to support it. I
17 >>> installed that svn-version locally but I cant read from the ITE
18 >>> chip.
19 >>> Still only voltages and temperatures.
20 >>> GKrellm (normally I use conky) also detects no fans.
21 >>>
22 >>> @Dale:
23 >>> Do you have exactly the same board (ASUS Crosshair IV formula) as I,
24 >>> or?
25 >>>
26 >>> I tried to include "everything" into the kernel but unfortunately the
27 >>> results are the same: No fans and the it87 driver seems not to work
28 >>> for me...
29 >>>
30 >>> Any other ideas?
31 >>>
32 >>> Best regards and have a nive sunday!
33 >>> mcc
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >> I have a Gigabyte mobo here. There are two places that you have to
38 >> enable all the sensors tho. As was posted a bit ago, one is I2C
39 >> Support and one is Hardware Monitoring Support both of which are under
40 >> Device Drivers. Is it possible that you left one out?
41 >>
42 >> If you built all the drivers in and it didn't work, then you may have
43 >> to wait on a newer kernel. If you are running a stable kernel, you may
44 >> want to try a unstable one since they are newer and may have the
45 >> updated drivers. I'm using 2.6.36 gentoo-sources here.
46 >>
47 >> Hope that helps.
48 >>
49 >> Dale
50 >>
51 >> :-) :-)
54 > Hi Dale,
55 >
56 > I enabled CONFIG_HWMON=y and CONFIG_I2C=y, I also see temperatures
57 > and voltages (I still a little confused by what ASUS states of
58 > the CPU-dye temperature of not being a physical temperature but one
59 > of "arbitrary scale"...but this another field to explore...).
60 >
61 > My kernel is a 2.36.6.2 vanilla...I didn't found any newer ;) ;) ;)
62 >
63 > Seems I am lost ?!?
64 >
65 > Best regards,
66 > mcc
70 I built me a new rig in the past week. There are two reasons I don't
71 buy bleeding edge. 1: Cost 2: Drivers not being ready and/or
72 stable. My mobo is about a year old. That is enough time to let the
73 kernel people sort out some nice drivers.
74
75 Maybe someone here can point you to a place where you can see if they
76 are being worked on. I'm sure there is a website with all kinds of
77 info. The only one I can think of is http://kernel.org/ which shows a
78 newer version than I have. May could see if they have new ones in them.
79
80 Given what lm-sensors says and the fact the ones in the kernel don't
81 work, I'm not sure what else to try.
82
83 Dale
84