From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs >
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:34:15
1 On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Hi again,
8 >>>
9 >>> For those mot up to date.  I built a new rig that has a Nvidia GT220 card
10 >>> in
11 >>> it.  I bought a brand new monitor this morning, a LG W2253, and it worked
12 >>> one time.  I had to reboot to move some things around and when I
13 >>> rebooted,
14 >>> the GUI doesn't come up.  The BIOS screen shows up and I can see the
15 >>> services start up as well but when it switches to vt7, it just has a
16 >>> little
17 >>> blinking cursor at the top.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> At first glance my guess is that your kernel is configured incorrectly
21 >> somehow.
22 >>
23 >> I have a similar card (Nvidia GT 240). I am using fully ~amd64 system
24 >> and it all works. FWIW, below are my settings&  a couple thoughts too.
25 >>  <<  SNIP>>
26 >>
27 >> I can send you my kernel .config if you want. Let me know! Good luck :)
31 > You are correct, it was a kernel config issue.  Nvidia needs CONFIG_SYSVIPC
32 > enabled in the kernel to work correctly.
33
34 Yep, sorry I only noticed the "Solved" thread after I wrote my reply.
35 I was on vacation and have about 100 threads here to catch up on.
36
37 The README file that comes with the nvidia drivers explains that
38 problem (as I wrote) and much more, so it might be a good read in case
39 there's any other info in there that might be helpful in optimizing
40 your set-up now that it's working. Also emerge nvidia-settings if you
41 haven't already, it has a nice GUI for tweaking some of the options
42 rather than going through xorg.conf.
43
44 Have fun!