From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fonts (Ariel?) broken in acroread
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:54:24
1 I don't know when exactly, but sometime in the past 6 months or so,
2 font support in acroread got broken. Most of the PDF documents
3 generated by MS Office don't render correctly. I think the most common
4 font that doesn't render properly is Ariel. Acroread didn't used to
5 have any problems with these documents, and viewing them with out
6 applications seems to work OK.
7
8 What gets rendered for Ariel is a _very_ ugly, very light, sans serif
9 font where lower-case letters are about 1/3 the height of upper case
10 letters. It's really horrid. Here's comparison of some text rendered
11 by acroread (left) and emacs (right):
12
13 http://www.panix.com/~grante/acroread-vs-emacs.png
14
15 Acroread _used_ to render this document correctly.
16
17 I've asked Google but all the hits are about asian font support.
18
19 Any ideas what I'm missing?
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want to so HAPPY,
23 at the VEINS in my neck STAND
24 gmail.com OUT!!