From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev - Reboot Necessary?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:34:19
1 On 2013-08-10 10:25 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-09 7:12 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Last - is simply restarting udev good enough, or should I go ahead and
4 >> reboot anyway before continuing with other updates?
5 >
6 > Never got a response to this...
7 >
8 > I'd prefer to not reboot if I don't have to, but it isn't *that* big a
9 > deal if it is 'recommended'...
10
11 Two other related questions...
12
13 1. Would it be correct to say that if you don't get an error when
14 restarting udev, you *shouldn't* (I know there are never any guarantees)
15 get an error when rebooting?
16
17 and
18
19 2. What happens if I
20
21 /etc/init.d/udev restart
22
23 and there is an error of some kind?
24
25 Will it cause my mail server to come crashing down? Or will it keep
26 running until I can determine the error and fix it?
27
28 Keep in mind - this is a server, and just runs
29 postfix/dovecot/apache/mysql...