From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev - Reboot Necessary?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 17:09:41
1 On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:33:48 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > On 2013-08-09 7:12 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > >> Last - is simply restarting udev good enough, or should I go ahead
5 > >> and reboot anyway before continuing with other updates?
6
7 Restarting worked for me on a server. On my laptop I switched over at the
8 same tome as a kernel update, so I had to reboot anyway.
9
10 > > Never got a response to this...
11 > >
12 > > I'd prefer to not reboot if I don't have to, but it isn't *that* big a
13 > > deal if it is 'recommended'...
14 >
15 > Two other related questions...
16 >
17 > 1. Would it be correct to say that if you don't get an error when
18 > restarting udev, you *shouldn't* (I know there are never any
19 > guarantees) get an error when rebooting?
20
21 That sounds reasonable. I find checkrestart to be useful in these
22 situations. If it reports everything OK, you will be fine.
23
24 > and
25 >
26 > 2. What happens if I
27 >
28 > /etc/init.d/udev restart
29 >
30 > and there is an error of some kind?
31
32 Find someone to blame, but not me ;-)
33
34 > Will it cause my mail server to come crashing down? Or will it keep
35 > running until I can determine the error and fix it?
36 >
37 > Keep in mind - this is a server, and just runs
38 > postfix/dovecot/apache/mysql...
39
40 I don't see it being a problem, but in that case, a reboot should clear
41 things. Just make sure you have a package of udev available in case
42 things do go TU.
46 Neil Bothwick
47
48 COMMAND: A suggestion made to a computer.