From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overlay for wickr
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:29:13
1 On Monday 16 Mar 2015 01:48:31 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I understand the convenience of having an ebuild to distribute commonly
4 > > used software like flash, especially from a distribution POV, but the
5 > > question still goes unanswered: why does HE want an ebuild to install a
6 > > .deb package?
7 >
8 > Obviously I can't speak for him, but some obvious benefits include:
9 > 1. Convenience - emerge foo and you're done.
10 > 2. Package-managed files. So, you can uninstall it too.
11 > 3. Automatic hash checking/etc - if the deb is tampered with then
12 > portage will refuse to install it unless they also hack into the
13 > Gentoo repo and change the hashes there as well.
14 > 4. openrc init.d scripts and systemd units following Gentoo
15 > conventions/etc. 5. Automated updates, possibly including a stable
16 > branch.
17 > 6. If in the main tree, then you benefit from Gentoo's security policies.
20 Rich covered it very well on my behalf (thank you Rich). I find it more
21 convenient to use a repo's package manager to avoid proliferation of files
22 that could cause clashes on my system. In this case, I would rather use
23 portage.
24
25 I've looked at zugaina too and didn't find anything, hence I asked here. I'll
26 file a bug at some point, unless anyone beats me to it.
29 Regards,
30 Mick