From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overlay for wickr
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 01:48:38
1 On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I understand the convenience of having an ebuild to distribute commonly
4 > used software like flash, especially from a distribution POV, but the
5 > question still goes unanswered: why does HE want an ebuild to install a
6 > .deb package?
9 Obviously I can't speak for him, but some obvious benefits include:
10 1. Convenience - emerge foo and you're done.
11 2. Package-managed files. So, you can uninstall it too.
12 3. Automatic hash checking/etc - if the deb is tampered with then
13 portage will refuse to install it unless they also hack into the
14 Gentoo repo and change the hashes there as well.
15 4. openrc init.d scripts and systemd units following Gentoo conventions/etc.
16 5. Automated updates, possibly including a stable branch.
17 6. If in the main tree, then you benefit from Gentoo's security policies.
20 Rich