From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overlay for wickr
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:35:45
1 On 15 March 2015 at 23:15, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > It's not open source, is it?
7 > > Why do you want an ebuild to install a binary .deb file?
8 >
9 > There aren't many of them, but there are ebuilds that install
10 > proprietary binary files even in the main repository. One of the
11 > advantages of Gentoo is that we actually can distribute ebuilds like
12 > these without distributing the copyrighted binaries they are used to
13 > install. Most other packaging systems put the files to be installed
14 > in the same file as the metadata required to install them, which ends
15 > up meaning that you can't distribute either.
16 >
17 > That said, I have no idea if this particular program has been packaged
18 > by anybody.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Rich
24 I understand the convenience of having an ebuild to distribute commonly
25 used software like flash, especially from a distribution POV, but the
26 question still goes unanswered: why does HE want an ebuild to install a
27 .deb package?
28
29 Anyway, http://gpo.zugaina.org/ shows no results, and I'm not aware of
30 any better resource to find ebuilds. Also, I never used or heard of that
31 software, so I'm afraid I have no answers, only questions.