From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:15:20
1 The 03/01/12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > But I can see a use case for mdev completely replacing udev: servers and
4 > virtual machines.
5 >
6 > Servers, especially production ones, have a hardware change only once in
7 > every two blue moons. They don't need all the bells and whistles of udev.
8 >
9 > Even more so when you've gone the virtualized route.
10 >
11 > Since servers are arguably where Linux shines the most, mdev should be
12 > seriously considered as a udev replacement.
13
14 But servers have enough ressources to run udev and any required
15 initramfs to mount /usr.
16
17 So, the question is where engineering should go:
18
19 - mdev and manually manage /dev devices if nedded
20
21 or
22
23 - rely on initramfs to mount /usr.
24
25 As initramfs is a prooven working solution, all distributions I know use
26 it either by default or if needed.
27
28 Also, I think the coming problem you will be face with in the mdev way
29 is the move of binaries from /bin to /usr/bin and so.
32 Nicolas Sebrecht