From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:50:20
1 On Jan 3, 2012 7:35 PM, "Nicolas Sebrecht" <nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
2 >
3 > The 03/01/12, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >
5 > > (Come to think of it, has *any* distro ever attempted this...
6 > > 'unconventional of going udev-free?)
7 >
8 > mdev is not an udev replacement. It's a very minimalist udev designed
9 > for embedded systems and initramfs. These days, a full-featured system
10 > require a dynamic /dev and AFAIK the only existing and up-to-date tool
11 > for this job is udev.
12 >
13 > I don't think any other distro attempted to get free of udev as it means
14 > coming back to 10 years ago, at least.
17 For desktops, I agree.
18
19 But I can see a use case for mdev completely replacing udev: servers and
20 virtual machines.
21
22 Servers, especially production ones, have a hardware change only once in
23 every two blue moons. They don't need all the bells and whistles of udev.
24
25 Even more so when you've gone the virtualized route.
26
27 Since servers are arguably where Linux shines the most, mdev should be
28 seriously considered as a udev replacement.
29
30 Rgds,