From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:58:15
1 On 13/07/2016 20:14, James wrote:
2 > "J." García <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>> I know the Gentoo Infra team has had negative experiences with
6 >>> hosting
7 >>> just about anything Java and don't want to go near it. I don't know
8 >>> if that is based on specific experiences with GitLab or with just
9 >>> avoidance with Java in general. Most of the competing solutions in
10 >>> this space are also Java-based which is why we don't host any kind of
11 >>> alternative to Github.
12 >
13 >> What java has to do with gitlab? according to the repo I see is mostly
14 >> ruby code[1](both gitlab and gitlab-ci). what you wrote make it seems
15 >> like it is a java app.
16 >> In the github mirror of gitlab(the main app), the file stats are:
17 >> 2,253 Ruby
18 >> 697 Haml
19 >> 319 Markdown
20 >> 158 CoffeeScript
21 >> 99 SCSS
22 >> 90 Cucumber
23 >> 40 YAML
24 >> 39 HTML+ERB
25 >> 26 SVG
26 >> 25 JavaScript
29 > Huh. (Double huh...) As Alan is always quick to quip:: JavaScript ain't
30 > java, so that changes the entire game. Performance can be fixed with a
31 > gentoo cluster (yet to be proven). I also read that gitlab is working to
32 > make the "engine" faster.....
33
34 I have two gitlabs at work
35
36 The old one which has been broken for yonks since an up grade that went
37 terribly bad. New keys for users always made it into the gitlab db,
38 never into git's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, we have a handy script to
39 restart the whole damn daemon because it hiccups every other day. Ever
40 since a bad upgrade.
41
42 The new one sings along, and I moved all my ansible stuff to it. That
43 interne did a good job with that projects.
44
45 But gitlab isn't Java in any way, don't know why Rich said that - he may
46 have conflated gitlab with some other git*. Gitlab is ruby.
47
48 With this app, and actually all webapps running in interpreted
49 frameworks, I support Rich's idea of running a prebuilt image in a
50 container as an appliance. Just mount your storage into the appliance,
51 and keep the database somewhere else. I've had too many screwups with
52 updates - that ecosystem doesn't seem to care much for upgrade paths
53 other than to make sure the dev could git pull daily and it would
54 continue to work commit by commit :-)
55
56 Alan