From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:15:21
1 "J." García <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I know the Gentoo Infra team has had negative experiences with
5 > > hosting
6 > > just about anything Java and don't want to go near it.  I don't know
7 > > if that is based on specific experiences with GitLab or with just
8 > > avoidance with Java in general.  Most of the competing solutions in
9 > > this space are also Java-based which is why we don't host any kind of
10 > > alternative to Github.
11
12 > What java has to do with gitlab? according to the repo I see is mostly
13 > ruby code[1](both gitlab and gitlab-ci). what you wrote make it seems
14 > like it is a java app.
15 > In the github mirror of gitlab(the main app), the file stats are:
16 > 2,253 Ruby
17 > 697 Haml
18 > 319 Markdown
19 > 158 CoffeeScript
20 > 99 SCSS
21 > 90 Cucumber
22 > 40 YAML
23 > 39 HTML+ERB
24 > 26 SVG
25 > 25 JavaScript
28 Huh. (Double huh...) As Alan is always quick to quip:: JavaScript ain't
29 java, so that changes the entire game. Performance can be fixed with a
30 gentoo cluster (yet to be proven). I also read that gitlab is working to
31 make the "engine" faster.....
32
33 > I have tried it using docker, and it does uses a lot of resources as
34 > someone previously said.
35
36 That's what clusters are for. ymmv. Lots of folks are using mesos,
37 for a variety of workloads. Others like Openstack, which is supported in
38 gentoo portage. My work on Apache-Mesos is suspended until I finish
39 up a rack install system I've been hacking on for a while. Apache-Mesos,
40 that works, can be found in BGO.
41
42 Folks are building mesos cluster on Arm64v8 (Rpi-3) and soon those arm
43 clusters are going to everywhere, particularly in small companies.... An 8
44 node cluster for less than $500 USD. (includes 32 cores, 8 arm gpus and 16
45 gig of ram. So I'm just waiting on an arm64v8 board that has 4 gig of ram each.
46
47 > BTW, after I quick look at Gogs it does seem a nice option, very
48 > 'github like'. I will try it for sure.
49
50 For me, robust gentoo support for both Gogs and Gitlab is a good idea
51 as these are excellent codes to put on a (gentoo) cluster....
54 >  [1] https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlabhq
55
56 hth,
57 James