From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:38:31
1 El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 16:25, Grant Edwards escribió:
2 > On 2009-02-04, Jes?s Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
3 >
4 >> El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 8:39, Alan McKinnon escribi?:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wednesday 04 February 2009 09:27:31 Christopher Walters wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> I personally don't view Gentoo as a "distro" in the traditional
10 >>> sense. To me, it's a build system, an app - portage or paludis - and
11 >>> the devs that make cool input files for that app. Building a distro
12 >>> from scratch for embedded devices is a painful process if you don't
13 >>> have an automated build system. It's not quite a trivial exercise, but
14 >>> portage does make it a whole lot easier.
15 >>
16 >> That's mostly what I call a "metadistro". A set of tools and
17 >> instructions to build a proper distro that suits you, and maintain it.
18 >
19 > Except that what you build and maintain isn't a "distro", it's
20 > a single machine.
21
22 That I only know ;)
23
24 It's up to you if you reuse the distro on a second machine
25 or on a whole cluster. And certainly, Gentoo provide the means
26 to reutilize whatever you compiled and configured on many machines,
27 like with catalyst and the newer metro tool from drobbins.
30 Jesús Guerrero