From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:30:21
1 On 2009-02-04, Jes?s Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
2 > El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 8:39, Alan McKinnon escribi?:
3 >> On Wednesday 04 February 2009 09:27:31 Christopher Walters wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I personally don't view Gentoo as a "distro" in the traditional sense. To
6 >> me, it's a build system, an app - portage or paludis - and the devs that
7 >> make cool input files for that app. Building a distro from scratch for
8 >> embedded devices is a painful process if you don't have an automated build
9 >> system. It's not quite a trivial exercise, but portage does make it a
10 >> whole lot easier.
11 >
12 > That's mostly what I call a "metadistro". A set of tools and
13 > instructions to build a proper distro that suits you, and maintain
14 > it.
15
16 Except that what you build and maintain isn't a "distro", it's
17 a single machine.
20 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you still an
21 at ALCOHOLIC?
22 visi.com