From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question concerning graphics...
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:59:19
1 On Sunday 10 Mar 2013 12:48:07 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 10.03.2013 09:54, schrieb Chris Walters:
3 > > Hello Everyone,
4 > >
5 > > I have a couple of questions concerning what graphic drivers you use.
6 > > Does anyone use the proprietary ATI drivers, or have used them? Would
7 > > you recommend them? I just recently started using the ati-drivers
8 > > package, but I don't really notice a difference - yes it does say the
9 > > frame rate is much higher, but I am not sure it is worth losing my
10 > > framebuffer over them.
11 > >
12 > > Technically, I lost my frame buffer because I am using an initramfs
13 > > (initrd) because I have an encrypted root file system, and a separate
14 > > non-encrypted usr partition. I still have not been able to figure out
15 > > how to get either uvesafb or vesafb working through the initramfs.
16 > > They will both load fine, before my initrd starts, then they seem to
17 > > disappear.
18 > >
19 > > In case you're wondering, before I changed to the proprietary ati
20 > > drivers, I was using the kernel framebuffer for my video card(s). Two
21 > > Radeon HD 5000 series cards. I did have to insert the proper ucode
22 > > into my kernel, but it worked.
23 > >
24 > > Chris
25 > >
26 > > .
27 >
28 > yes, it is worth using them. Because of proper power management alone.
29 > You might not care about framerates, but the open source drivers use a
30 > lot more energy - for nothing.
31
32 On the other hand the kernel has advanced enough now to offer power management
33 for ATI cards. I've set this up for my Mobility Radeon HD 4670:
34
35 cat /etc/local.d/set_radeon_power_profile.start
36 echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
37
38 and it stopped the cooling fan from working all the time irrespective of the
39 load. This also makes the battery last longer.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick