From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:22:26
1 On 19 December 2006 00:23, Bryan Østergaard wrote:
2
3 > Gentoo started with the stated goal of providing a metadistribution.
4 > This basically means providing the best possible foundation for others
5 > to tinker with any way they like. Be it building embedded applications,
6 > making the next 'Ubuntu' or whatever. To me the flexibility that Gentoo
7 > provides is one of the most important things.
8
9 Exactly. Over the last 2 years or so, I have converted most of my customers to
10 Gentoo - and it is a big relief compared to all those commercial
11 distributions. I all ways had to fight their admin tools for any setup that
12 wasn't completely standard. With Gentoo, I can set up systems exactly the way
13 I want them without fighting anything. That's an incredible advantage from a
14 professional sys/net-admin's POV.
15
16 > And for those who think Gentoo is declining I can only say that's
17 > definitely not what I'm seeing as lead of developer relations and
18 > recruiters. There's always some developers leaving but we have a lot
19 > more developers joining us. In the last 3 years that I've been a Gentoo
20 > developer we've grown from ~80 developers to 330+ developers. That's a
21 > yearly growth of 60% or more.
22
23 Amen. At last, someone provides numbers instead of speculation.
24
25 Now, if only open-xchange made the jump from hard masked to unstable. ;-)
26
27 Uwe
30 Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
31 http://www.SysEx.com.na
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list