From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 17:00:46
1 On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 16:39:50 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 19/12/17 13:57, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > There are no safe, free names to use for an internal network. On the one
4 > > hand, RFC 8244 makes a decent argument that this is a good thing,
5 > > because it guarantees that every hostname is globally unique (so if I
6 > > copy/paste a URL to you, it goes the same place on your machine as it
7 > > did mine). On the other hand, I hate the idea of paying some bureaucrat
8 > > to be able to use my own network.
9 >
10 > Which was why I liked Demon as my ISP. They had a customer domain and
11 > assigned you a name on it. Whether you used it as a host or domain name
12 > was up to you.
13 >
14 > Most ISPs now assume you are a client and don't give you proper internet
15 > :-(
16
17 Zen is fine too. I had to choose a subdomain (prh) in myzen.co.uk, then I
18 could define 11 users@××××××××××××.uk. I've only used a few of those, as any
19 user names local to my LAN aren't supposed to be visible outside it.
20
21 Any time I look round for a new ISP to change to for any reason, I'm only
22 ever interested in those that act as a pair of bare wires connecting me and
23 mine to the outside world - no interference,* no proxies, transparent or
24 otherwise. Just a simple connection.
25
26 I forget why I left Demon years ago. I wouldn't touch BT Internet with a
27 barge-pole since they got all cosy with Yahoo, and UKFSN went more-or-less
28 defunct. Whence Zen today.
29
30 * [OT] What's the difference between intervention and interference? None
31 that I can see. One is just more Politically Crass - oops! Correct - than
32 the other.
35 Regards,
36 Peter.