From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:40:01
1 On 19/12/17 13:57, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > There are no safe, free names to use for an internal network. On the one
3 > hand, RFC 8244 makes a decent argument that this is a good thing,
4 > because it guarantees that every hostname is globally unique (so if I
5 > copy/paste a URL to you, it goes the same place on your machine as it
6 > did mine). On the other hand, I hate the idea of paying some bureaucrat
7 > to be able to use my own network.
8
9 Which was why I liked Demon as my ISP. They had a customer domain and
10 assigned you a name on it. Whether you used it as a host or domain name
11 was up to you.
12
13 Most ISPs now assume you are a client and don't give you proper internet :-(
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol