From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:47:05
1 On 20 Mar 2010, at 21:28, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> So, I had to create a new profile, copy the good stuff over to fix
4 >> the
5 >> issue with Seamonkey. Now I can send a new message and it not be
6 >> blank.
7 >> I think it annoyed the list but it really got on my nerves. After
8 >> all,
9 >> who wants to spend 20 or 30 minutes typing in a message to have it
10 >> disappear and have to do it all over again.
11 >
12 > And people still claim it's Microsoft products that are bugged... :P
13
14 Chances are that he's copied a setting from his old profile that
15 doesn't work with the new one, or is corrupt in some way. He can
16 EASILY test this by moving his profile to profile.old and trying with
17 a blank / new configuration. If that works then he can copy over only
18 the essential parts of his profile and at least save himself all the
19 bother of retyping out the names of his pop3 servers and signatures.
20
21 I was very impressed by Windows 7 recently. I installed it for a
22 customer and it seems wonderful. I even considered trying it myself,
23 but I realised that the inability to copy settings from one profile or
24 machine to another is a *complete* deal-breaker to me.
25
26 I reinstall the o/s on my desktop machine at 1 - 3 year intervals.
27 That might be caused by a hardware upgrade or failure, filesystem
28 corruption, or they might just release Windows 8 in 2012. I try not to
29 depend too much on stuff that's on my desktop - email is a killer app
30 for me, so I just type in the details of my IMAP server and my
31 familiar environment is replicated; I have just a few favourite
32 websites that I use a lot, and one can just install a word-processor
33 and photo-editor, there should be a backup of my data on the server.
34
35 When I set up a new Mac on Linux box, all my preferences from ~ can be
36 copied over easily. They're just a bunch of text files, and I can have
37 a bit of a clean up by only copying the preferences for programs I
38 actually use. If I fire up $application and find that its layout is
39 all wrong, then I can just exit it and copy across preferences from
40 the old system,
41
42 Contemplating this, I find it a bit incredible that there's no way to
43 do this on a Windows system. Everything is stored in honking great big
44 registry files, and there's no way to migrate a registry hive to a new
45 profile (and no way, without a Windows domain server, to migrate a
46 profile to a new system). When I was a Windows enthusiast, before I'd
47 heard of Linux, I would spend 2 days fuzting to try and get everything
48 right when reinstalled Windows or installed a new system. Even a week
49 or two later I'd be finding things that weren't quite right, like they
50 were on my old system, didn't quite match my preferred way of doing
51 things, and I would have to spend time tinkering to get them right.
52
53 A Red Hat developer recently (within the last 3 months, I guess)
54 blogged about reverse engineering the Windows registry for some VM
55 tools he wrote. I can't find the article right now, but what he had to
56 say about the Registry was shocking.
57
58 Stroller.