From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo vs Raspbian on Raspberry Pi 3?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:27:06
1 On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, E, 26.06.2017 kell 10:32, kirjutas R0b0t1:
3 >> If you want to use Gentoo on an embedded device you should be ready
4 >> to set up crossdev and a crossroot for it.
5 >
6 > That's for sure, except... RPi3 is NOT an embedded device in any
7 > traditional sense of the word and I don't really like the term extended
8 > to such machines. Embedded is what I'd call a Cortex-M maybe, not some
9 > general purpose Cortex-A quad core 64bit "beast" with full USB/HDMI and
10 > OpenGL support. It runs circles around the first desktop machine I
11 > installed Gentoo on. It is roughly equal to your low end cheap Atom
12 > type laptops as far as CPU performance is concerned. It just has a slow
13 > I/O and less RAM than we consider the norm these days.
16 The BCM2837 is a phone processor. If phones are not an embedded device
17 then I'm not sure what is. The RAM for the device is
18 package-on-package (i.e. high integration) and save the video outputs
19 most of the desktop-like ports (like the Ethernet port) are obtained
20 via hardwired connection to a USB adapter. The slow IO, limited
21 memory, and lack of general purpose communication interfaces besides
22 USB is what keeps it from being a good general purpose computer.
23
24 (Arguably the BCM2837 is intended for devices less complex than
25 phones, or precisely the kind of thing people call an "embedded
26 device.")
27
28 > I see no reason to crossroot for it unless that's ones desire in itself
29 > (for example when it works, it might be worth the time save for mass
30 > testing of stuff, e.g initial arch team work), or you really need it
31 > for some working linker memory limitations when trying to do some
32 > desktop stuff (browser engines, rust). For headless cases, not worth
33 > the hassle whatsoever imho. Yes, gcc itself will take half a day or
34 > whatnot, but hey, it's just taking you some 3-5W chugging along.
37 Following from the above, the devices were never meant to self-host
38 their OS and are very bad at doing so. All large projects I know of
39 lease time on powerful ARM servers to produce their packages because
40 doing it on the devices most people use the packages on is extremely
41 painful.
42
43 This situation really echoes the difference seen between content
44 producers and consumers when using desktops and phones. If you need a
45 device to run a simple server or act as a gateway then using
46 precompiled packages is fine, but if you're expecting to develop for
47 the device you need a separate computer to do most of your compilation
48 on.
49
50 Once you get a toolchain, though, compiling simple programs on your
51 device is fast enough to be reasonable. Things like GCC can take
52 nearly three days even on the Raspberry Pi 3.
53
54 > crossdev sure, if you think with the limited I/O a distcc host can help
55 > out.
56 >
57 > But sure, it can be educational, so have at it if you want; when it
58 > works, it'll get your packages done faster if you have a beefy x86_64.
61 > Mart
64 My personal recommendation is that an interest in the ARM architecture
65 be pursued by purchasing an ARM server (or desktop). Anything else is
66 a waste of time and money. Some of them are starting to become
67 affordable, e.g. https://softiron.com/products/overdrive-1000/.
68
69 R0b0t1.