From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo vs Raspbian on Raspberry Pi 3?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:28:34
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 26.06.2017 kell 10:32, kirjutas R0b0t1:
2 > If you want to use Gentoo on an embedded device you should be ready
3 > to set up crossdev and a crossroot for it.
4
5 That's for sure, except... RPi3 is NOT an embedded device in any
6 traditional sense of the word and I don't really like the term extended
7 to such machines. Embedded is what I'd call a Cortex-M maybe, not some
8 general purpose Cortex-A quad core 64bit "beast" with full USB/HDMI and
9 OpenGL support. It runs circles around the first desktop machine I
10 installed Gentoo on. It is roughly equal to your low end cheap Atom
11 type laptops as far as CPU performance is concerned. It just has a slow
12 I/O and less RAM than we consider the norm these days.
13
14 I see no reason to crossroot for it unless that's ones desire in itself
15 (for example when it works, it might be worth the time save for mass
16 testing of stuff, e.g initial arch team work), or you really need it
17 for some working linker memory limitations when trying to do some
18 desktop stuff (browser engines, rust). For headless cases, not worth
19 the hassle whatsoever imho. Yes, gcc itself will take half a day or
20 whatnot, but hey, it's just taking you some 3-5W chugging along.
21
22 crossdev sure, if you think with the limited I/O a distcc host can help
23 out.
24
25 But sure, it can be educational, so have at it if you want; when it
26 works, it'll get your packages done faster if you have a beefy x86_64.
29 Mart