From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo vs Raspbian on Raspberry Pi 3?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:32:40
1 On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 3:41 AM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Gentoo? Raspbian? Or even...arch?
4 >
5 > This might seems to be the wrong place to ask, but I consider Gentoo as
6 > my first-place option, so I would like to know your experiences.
9 If you want to use Gentoo on an embedded device you should be ready to
10 set up crossdev and a crossroot for it. This isn't hard.
11 Unfortunately, there are rather serious issues[1] in autotools that
12 prevent some packages from building with crossdev (code needs to be
13 run for various tests, but the tests compile it for the target system
14 - ARM - and try to run it on the host).
15
16 The packages that make up the stage3 image compile properly and large
17 packages like Perl and some others compile properly, but not
18 everything does and failures need to be fixed on a per-package basis.
19 I have a system and use it like this and it works fairly well. If you
20 want to use Debian or Arch one of the things you need to consider is
21 it will be much harder to get programs that are not already packaged
22 for you.
25 [1] An extremely interesting example is libidn2, where an autotools
26 test compiles a program to generate C code to be included in the
27 program: what is happening is a program generates a program to
28 generate a program to generate a program which is used by a program to
29 generate a program.