From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which arch do I have ?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 03:16:17
1 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2 > On February 12, 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> So, the only good reason to move to amd64 is when you buy a 64 bit
5 >>>> machine
6 >>>>
7 >>> I have 1G RAM and it's a laptop doesn't serve huge databases so I
8 >>> guess despite if my CPU is 64 or 32 bits, I'll just stick with the 32
9 >>> version, works great...
10 >>>
11 >> Agreed. You have no obvious benefits from a 64 bit arch. You also get to
12 >> not have to struggle with flash wondering if it will work this time or
13 >> not ;-)
16 > just a bit of personal experience: flash works beter using nspluginwrapper in
17 > 64bit mode because when it hangs - it's a simple as shooting it's wrapper
18 > process and not the entire FF.
19 >
20 > oh, and for whatever reason wine performs better under 64 bit OS rather than
21 > 32. Don't have any other proof then my own experience but Diablo LOD runs
22 > much smoother once I've rebuilt my system with 64bit with the same useflags
23 > and everything else.
24 >
25 I would agree that wine does seem to run better on the 64bit arch. One
26 other thing that I've noticed with a 64bit binary, specifically
27 HandBrake, is that video encoding is *much* faster then it is with a
28 32bit binary.
29
30 -Hal
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list