From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which arch do I have ?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:28:07
1 On February 12, 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > > So, the only good reason to move to amd64 is when you buy a 64 bit
3 > > > machine
4 > >
5 > > I have 1G RAM and it's a laptop doesn't serve huge databases so I
6 > > guess despite if my CPU is 64 or 32 bits, I'll just stick with the 32
7 > > version, works great...
8 >
9 > Agreed. You have no obvious benefits from a 64 bit arch. You also get to
10 > not have to struggle with flash wondering if it will work this time or
11 > not ;-)
12
13 just a bit of personal experience: flash works beter using nspluginwrapper in
14 64bit mode because when it hangs - it's a simple as shooting it's wrapper
15 process and not the entire FF.
16
17 oh, and for whatever reason wine performs better under 64 bit OS rather than
18 32. Don't have any other proof then my own experience but Diablo LOD runs
19 much smoother once I've rebuilt my system with 64bit with the same useflags
20 and everything else.
23 Dmitry Makovey
24 Web Systems Administrator
25 Athabasca University