From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ftp login with ASCII characters?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:38:17
1 On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:21:43 +0000
2 Mick wrote:
3
4 > I am getting perplexed why WYSINWYG:
5 >
6 > I was trying to login to an ftp server from the CLI. Typing in the
7 > passwd failed every time. I then set it up as a network connection
8 > in Konqueror and I had no problem at all connecting using the same
9 > passwd. However, I noticed that some additional characters had been
10 > added by konqueror's interpretation of what the passwd ought to look
11 > like; e.g.
12 >
13 > Original passwd: XXXXXXX%02XXXX
14 > Konqueror passwd: XXXXXXX%2502XXXX
15 >
16 > Konqueror added 25 to it, after the percentage sign. True enough
17 > when I tried the augmented string as a passwd on the command line I
18 > was able to login fine. My terminal is TERM=rxvt and shell is
19 > SHELL=/bin/bash. Is there a way to simplify this confusion and allow
20 > what I type to login normally? Otherwise, where can I find what
21 > characters I should be typing in for all sort of symbols like
22 > "^&*[]<>#@" ? --
23 > Regards,
24 > Mick
25
26 H'lo Mick,
27
28 It looks like your problem is the percent sign. I suggest that you
29 don't use the percent sign in your password. FWIW, most other special
30 characters should be fine.
31
32 In URL's, the percent sign is used as an escape character to indicate
33 the next 2 characters are hexadecimal digits representing a single
34 ascii character. As you likely know, letter 'A' is a byte with value
35 65 (decimal) and 41 (hexadecimal). In C (and other languages) it can
36 be represented as 0x41. Using the percent sign escape notation, 'A'
37 and "%41" are the same. Your password contains "%02" which is being
38 interpreted as 0x02, i.e. as the character whose internal value is 2,
39 i.e. as CTL-B.
40
41 An ASCII chart will give you the decimal and hexadecimal equivalents of
42 the special characters about which you asked.
43
44 HTH,
45
46 David