From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package version notification (~/+)?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 02:42:37
1 On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:09:53PM -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > At Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:06:07 -0400 "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Neil - I _think_ this is what I have not been able to understand for
5 > > over a year now. I run an almost entirely stable system, and want to
6 > > keep it that way. But occassionally there is something I want that is
7 > > currently ~x86, for instance amarok. So what you're saying is that if I
8 > >
9 > > #echo =media-sound/amarok-1.4.0a-r1 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
10 > >
11 > > I will not get the next testing version of amarok, but will get the next
12 > > stable?
13 >
14 > Yes. The line you are adding to package.keywords says that for *the
15 > specific version listed* (since you begin with "=") you will emerge
16 > it, if it is keyworded (or stable). For any other version, in
17 > particular for the next version issued from upstream, the line you
18 > added says nothing. Hence, since you are running a stable system,
19 > only stable versions (except for 1.4.0a-r1) are eligible for emerging.
20 >
21 Excellent. Thanks Neil and Allan. You know, I just went back and re-read
22 the man page for portage, and it made perfect sense. I'd read that
23 fucking page probably 10 times before and didn't get it.
24
25 Thanks again,
26 festus
27 --
28 It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
29 clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.
30 Noam Chomsky