From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:44:04
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 02:09:12 +0000 (UTC), Martin Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > > Screen and tabs are different solutions to different problems. When
4 > > working with multiple SSH sessions to different machines, and not
5 > > using ClusterSSH, I find it most convenient to have a tab for each
6 > > host, with a screen session in that tab.
7 >
8 > I find nested tmux/screen sessions rather convenient, and use them
9 > regularly for that purpose (my setup nests them automatically, so
10 > I do not have to do anything manually).
11
12 As does mine. It is not starting them I find inconvenient but using them
13 is less convenient, for me, than a combination of tabs and screen.
14
15 > > The main issue with nested screens being that the command
16 > > keystrokes seemed to always go to the wrong instance of screen.
17 >
18 > It's just a question to get used to press Ctrl-aa instead of Ctrl-a
19 > for remote/chroot sessions. Up to the rare instances when I run a
20 > chroot within a remote session and thus have to press even Ctrl-aaa,
21 > this is something I do not even have to think about anymore.
22
23 Had I found that approach more workable, I'm sure I could have trained me
24 rather creaky muscle memory to do it, but Shift-Left/Right to switch
25 between hosts and Ctrl-B N/P to switch between sessions on a host works
26 extremely well. To go back to the OP's original point, having hostnames on
27 the tabs also makes it obvious which sessions I have open.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but only the pig enjoys it.