From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:44:08
1 Paul Hartman writes:
2
3 > If you are using a video card (instead of built-in/on-board video) I
4 > would try a different video card, if you have an old or spare one. I
5 > have had lots of video cards die from overheating and power spikes.
6
7 Sorry, I did not mention that I do not have a video card, it's onboard
8 video. I do not need great video power, and I wanted to have a quiet PC
9 that also saves power.
10
11 > I only had one motherboard ever die, a computer I gave to my father
12 > died after a few months... it was ASRock brand but I'm sure that is a
13 > coincidence. :) It had blown/cracked capacitors all over the
14 > motherboard. It did not die completely at once. It would "kind of"
15 > work, but started to crash randomly and became worse and worse until
16 > finally it wouldn't boot at all. I replaced the MB, but kept the same
17 > CPU, RAM everything else, and it has been working ever since. That was
18 > after we bought a new power supply that didn't make any difference.
19
20 I'd also say this is unusual. I had a board die, but that was my own
21 error :)
22
23 Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will be
24 okay then.
25
26 Thanks for all your responses! I know this is not really related to
27 Gentoo, but that's what I love this list for, people are very helpful
28 and competent here.
29
30 Wonko