From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:15:42
1 On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > And there, it just crashed while in the BIOS setup.
3
4 If you are using a video card (instead of built-in/on-board video) I
5 would try a different video card, if you have an old or spare one. I
6 have had lots of video cards die from overheating and power spikes.
7
8 I only had one motherboard ever die, a computer I gave to my father
9 died after a few months... it was ASRock brand but I'm sure that is a
10 coincidence. :) It had blown/cracked capacitors all over the
11 motherboard. It did not die completely at once. It would "kind of"
12 work, but started to crash randomly and became worse and worse until
13 finally it wouldn't boot at all. I replaced the MB, but kept the same
14 CPU, RAM everything else, and it has been working ever since. That was
15 after we bought a new power supply that didn't make any difference.