From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using a remote DVD writer
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:15:20
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > My laptop does not have a DVD writer, only a DVD/CD player. On the other
5 > hand, my desktop has the works. Other than booting the desktop in Gentoo and
6 > burning DVDs directly, is there a way to use it remotely from my laptop? Can
7 > I define in K3B my desktop's DVD drive(s)? How can I set this up for a LAN
8 > connection?
9 >
10 > While at it, is there a way to achieve this at all when the desktop is not
11 > running Gentoo, but WinXP?
12 >
13 > PS. I do not currently have SAMBA configured on either box.
17 I think these two command chains should work:
18
19 "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
20 ssh desktop cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -driveropts=burnfree -" <---for CDs
21
22 "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
23 ssh desktop growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0" <---for DVDs
24
25 If you decide to try the above commands, please, do it with *RW media*
26 first, because I haven't tested them.
29 Best regards,
30 Daniel
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list