From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using a remote DVD writer
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:03:48
1 On Tuesday 28 November 2006 23:10, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > My laptop does not have a DVD writer, only a DVD/CD player. On the other
6 > > hand, my desktop has the works. Other than booting the desktop in Gentoo
7 > > and burning DVDs directly, is there a way to use it remotely from my
8 > > laptop? Can I define in K3B my desktop's DVD drive(s)? How can I set
9 > > this up for a LAN connection?
10 > >
11 > > While at it, is there a way to achieve this at all when the desktop is
12 > > not running Gentoo, but WinXP?
13 > >
14 > > PS. I do not currently have SAMBA configured on either box.
15 >
16 > I think these two command chains should work:
17 >
18 > "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
19 > ssh desktop cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -driveropts=burnfree -" <---for CDs
20 >
21 > "mkisofs -opt1 -opt2 -optN /files/for/burning | \
22 > ssh desktop growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0" <---for DVDs
23 >
24 > If you decide to try the above commands, please, do it with *RW media*
25 > first, because I haven't tested them.
26
27 Thanks for all suggestions. Daniel's idea seems to be closer to what I was
28 looking for (I do not have Java installed on either box, although I could run
29 Knoppix on the CD writer machine). Only I have no idea what the options
30 should be to copy a DVD - I guess an iso image of the original? I'll need to
31 go through that man page a few times, unless you can suggest an appropriate
32 string of options.
33
34 PS. When I used the k3b gui with default settings to copy a WinXP directory
35 to a DVD it capitalised all filenames and substituted most characters
36 like "&", spaces, etc with "_". I assume that this is because it applied
37 Jolliet standard. How should I set it in K3B to get all the
38 file name characters copied over intact? How would I do this in mkisofs, too?
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick