From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:02:57
1 On Saturday, April 16, 2016 09:47:15 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 16/04/2016 18:58, »Q« wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:41:37 -0400
4 > >
5 > > Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 > >> I've got more years on gentoo that most of you.
7 > >
8 > > I wonder how you determined that, but it doesn't matter; it's the
9 > > content of posts that reveal cluelessness quotient, not a clock.
10 > >
11 > >> I only joined this list a few months ago because emerge was starting
12 > >> to cause problems
13 > >
14 > > You joined the wrong list -- this one's for helping each other.
15 > > Unfortunately, I don't know what is the right list for informing the
16 > > world that portage is malicious and out to get you.
17 > >
18 > >> I am speaking from many years of experience with weekly updates when I
19 > >> tell you that ubuntu-style "update everything while I go play Space
20 > >> Invaders" (Or Kerbal Space Program) absolutely does work unless emerge
21 > >> decides to get stupid and look for excuses not to do what you asked it
22 > >> to.
23 > >
24 > > That's funny, IME portage is better at automagically resolving blockers
25 > > than it ever was in the past. Then again, I don't know how it was
26 > > before 2001.
27 >
28 > Oh gawd it was awful. You'd get a message saying two things blocked and
29 > it was up to you to unblock them yourself.
30 >
31 > But, things in computing were simpler in those days. Disks were IDE or
32 > SCSI,
33
34 Don't forget MFM disks.
35 And those only cover IBM-style PCs....
36
37 > a desktop was just X11 plus a bunch of apps, some of them aware of
38 > each other. Hotplugging sort of worked but not really for external disks
39 > (if you even had one that is). All of /dev was static and we had MAKEDEV
40 > - it created one of everything you'd ever need and if not, well there
41 > was mknod
42
43 Yes, a /dev with a gazillion items...
44
45 > And the most complex thing portage had to deal with was virtuals.
46 > I don't think even SLOTs were around then.
47
48 I doubt it. I think SLOTs came sometime around 2010?
49
50 > Nowadays things are so different, out hardware is vastly more complex,
51 > so is the software and portage has to keep up. Here's something
52 > important to consider:
53 >
54 > The most complex calculation most of us ever ask our computers to do is
55 > what portage needs to figure out for emerge -avuND world
56
57 That dependency tree logic seems simple to some of the stuff I've seen in the
58 past. It's still one of the most complex calculations one can come up with.
59
60 > Like Dale correctly keeps pointing out, this isn't Ubuntu which only
61 > gives you one choice - the one the package maintainer made. Gentoo is
62 > unique in that it has to cope[1] with any choice the user decided to
63 > make, and still get the answer right. Even my fleet of FreeBSD servers
64 > doesn't offer that choice - I can compile from ports, but a port only
65 > has one version and each has a poor replacement for USE.
66 >
67 > [1] in truth, it's the devs who have to cope with that. They need to get
68 > a reasonably good idea of what will work with set and set the blockers
69 > accordingly. Portage only follows their hints. So thumbs up to our devs!
70
71 I agree, we have really good devs
74 Joost