From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Quo vadis Gentoo [WAS: Daniel Robbins' come back ?]
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:39:08
1 * Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > that is one of the most stupid things I ever read on this list. So users
6 > should never be part of discussions? Their needs? Their opinions?
7
8 well, that's what essentially told to me on -dev before I left there ;-O
9
10 Maybe it's just an communication problem: devs are usually people who have
11 much deeper knowledge of the whole system (or maybe just their packages)
12 and also different needs than arbitary users. The tendencies of chasing
13 away users might be an kind of self-protection against the "more (end)user
14 friendly" points of view found in other distros (eg. SuSE).
15
16 > Also, drobbins continued his attacks even after explained SEVERAL times that
17 > the stuff ciaranm was doing was a) wanted and b) helpfull and c) supervised
18 > by devs.
19
20 Without knowing the details, both parties might have their (subjectively)
21 valid reasons (speaking of the ideas/concepts, not the way they've been
22 expressed ;-o). Maybe the whole project should be more modularized, so forking
23 becomes much easier and still doesn't produce too much duplicate works.
24
25 A few ideas:
26
27 * bugfixing on individual packages should happen directly in the upstream
28 (maybe with OSS-QM as "source overlay"), not in Gentoo itself.
29 * package's build/install logic should be entirely moved into the package
30 (so that ebuilds mostly do nothing more than calling the package's
31 build system)
32 * the QM process could be split into several parts:
33 a) per-package (distro agnostic)
34 b) per ebuild (aka the package w/ portage)
35 c) the ebuild within (official) Gentoo
36
37 On a quick view this looks like a lot more work, but in longer terms it
38 would reduce the overall work (including dozens of other distros around
39 the world).
42 cu
43 --
45 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
47 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
48 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
49 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
50 http://patches.metux.de/
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list