From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update-grub? I have no such thing.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:29:59
1 On Montag, 15. Oktober 2007, Mark Shields wrote:
2 > On 10/14/07, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > On Sonntag, 14. Oktober 2007, Mark Shields wrote:
6 > > > And no, you don't need it. Writing and maintaining your own menu.lst (
7 > > > grub.conf) works just fine.
8 > >
9 > > well, I have a 'vmlinuz' entry and a 'vmlinuz.old' entry. Since make
10 > > install
11 > > creates the proper symlinks there is no grub.conf/menu.lst editing
12 > > needed. --
13 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
14 >
15 > Of course, those are symlinks. Specifying the actual kernel rather than a
16 > symlink ensures you're always booting from the correct kernel. I have one
17 > entry in grub.conf pointing to /vmlinuz , the others point to specific
18 > kernels.
19
20 you can always type the name of the 'correct' kernel in the boot-commandline.
21 So even if vmlinuz is not the 'correct' one you don't need other kernels in
22 grub.conf. Boot, set the symlink, problem solved.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list