From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:35:19
1 James wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo<at> gmail.com> writes:
6 >>> I bought this router the other day. I notice something that is a little
7 >>> weird.
8 >>>
9 >> It seems like more of the computer and electronics problems I have (or
10 >> that people bring to me) are related to power supply failures than any
11 >> other reason.
12 >>
13 > Shot in the dark:
14 >
15 > Make sure the router is on a UPS. Often you do not have power
16 > failures, but power "glitches" such as low voltage, particularly
17 > if the temperature has "spiked cold" in your area. Of if the
18 > local power companies is a slacker, like most of them are.
19 > Some areas are frequently "swung" from one substation to
20 > another substation, as the power grid managers try to
21 > minimize the operational costs and balance the distribution
22 > network. This sort of activity will kill UPS and batteries,
23 > prematurely.
24 >
25 > All UPS need to be tested to ensure the batteries are good
26 > every few months. If you can wire in addition jel-cel batteries
27 > in parallel so as to extend capacity and ease the drain-charge
28 > cycles on your UPS equipment.
29 >
30 > Best thing to do, is hook up a 100 watt (150) incadescent
31 > bulb and fixture and just pull the power cord. If the light
32 > flickers or goes brown or out too soon, your UPS may
33 > need either a new battery or if your UPS power circuitry
34 > is of poor quality or old, just replace the UPS.
35 >
36 > Power quality is a big problem, the world over and often
37 > the detection requires subtle interrogation, or a purchase
38 > to fix it.
39 >
40 > A "Leroy fix" is to plug a smaller capacity UPS into a
41 > larger UPS that is connected to the wall outlet, to prevent
42 > voltages sags due to old or poor quality electronics of the
43 > UPS(es).
44 >
45 > If you need batteries, I know of a good (cheap) supplier
46 > for Lead_acid batteries, in the US..... so just drop me
47 > a line.
50 > Another idea, find out what voltage (DC?) your router
51 > uses, if it has an external power supply; it will be marked
52 > on the power supply. If you are lucky it uses 12VDC or 5-6 VDC
53 > and you can splice in Jel-Cell batteries of the appropriate
54 > voltage, for extra energy storage or to limit voltage sag.
57 > Just some random ideas and watch out for neighbors running too
58 > many christmas lights or a welder in the neighborhood.
59 > Power quality issues usually magnify during periods of peak demand.
62 > hth,
63 > James
67 I have it plugged up to the same UPS my puter uses. I changed the
68 battery about a year ago and it is plenty large enough. It runs at
69 about 40% load. I doubt it is a power issue.
70
71 Dale
72