From: Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Network Trouble
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:55:52
1 On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:59:09 -0800
2 "Hilco Wijbenga" <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > My Gentoo box can no longer connect to the Internet. I was downloading
7 > something and the connection just died on me.
8 >
9 > (I have my Gentoo box behind a firewall box [also Gentoo, of course];
10 > I moved the cable that connects the firewall [to my ADSL modem]
11 > directly to my Gentoo box to make the setup simpler during testing.)
12 >
13 > * I checked the cable and the ADSL modem with my firewall box and
14 > they're ok;
15 > * I replaced my NIC with one from my firewall box and even tried a
16 > different slot;
17 > * I had DHCPCD use the MAC that my firewall box uses (just in case my
18 > ISP cares).
19 >
20 > The NIC is recognised and the right module/driver is loaded. The light
21 > (LAN Link or something like that) on the ADSL modem, however, never
22 > comes on (it does when I move the cable back into my firewall box).
23 >
24 > What could be causing this? Is this a motherboard issue? It seems to
25 > me that at least one of the NICs I tried must be ok. :-) Any advice
26 > and/or ideas would be appreciated.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Hilco
30 >
31 > P.S. How does one check that a NIC is operational anyway? If I "ping
32 > localhost" does that actually excercise the NIC or is it all software,
33 > inside the kernel?
34
35 Are you using the sky2 driver for your NIC by chance?