From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] updatedb/locate - reasons to use
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:48:37
1 Beau Henderson writes:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Are there (emerge/revdep-rebuild/other portage tools related)
7 > > > situations when fs db creating is useful?
8 > >
9 > > I believe there are. I used to use slocate when I had tens of
10 > > thousands of mp3s and other media files. Its a lot of times its faster
11 > > to use slocate or locate than a find to find a certain file.
12 >
13 > I believe the OP's intentions are to determine if slocate would have any
14 > benefit specifically for portage related utilities.
15 >
16 > And with that, there would not be any benefit to the average user IMHO,
17 > as slocate is updated usually nightly ( when installed ) and as such if
18 > the utilities were using the results obtained from that utility, it might
19 > apply changes which would be detrimental to the system, assuming changes
20 > have been made to portage or installed apps since the updatedb run.
21
22 Right. Still, I like having the locate command. About those nightly
23 updates.... they suck, updatedb creates much load on my systems, and the
24 updatedb cronjob always just kicks in when I don't want it. But I think I
25 just found a solution to this:
26
27 emerge -C slocate && emerge mlocate && time updatedb && time updatedb
28
29 mlocate is supposed to be compatible with slocate, but the updatedb command
30 runs much faster. Well, the first time it takes a little longer, but after
31 this it's fast. The website says:
32
33 mlocate is a locate/updatedb implementation. The 'm' stands for "merging":
34 updatedb reuses the existing database to avoid rereading most of the file
35 system, which makes updatedb faster and does not trash the system caches
36 as much.
37
38 I don't know why it is faster to scan a directory hierarchy for its files
39 than to verify which of the files in la list are still there and which new
40 ones are there, but I saw the difference.
41
42 Wonko