From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:15:29
1 On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 18:55 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > Hi. I have a crappy mouse made in China. One of its problems is that
3 > the mouse pointer sometimes moves even while the mouse is not moving.
4 > Usually this manifests by the pointer "shaking", moving back and
5 > forward one or two pixels very fast (it looks like some 5 times per
6 > second). The worst problem caused by this is that the monitor can
7 > wake up at seemingly random times.
8 >
9 > One solution would be to switch off the monitor every time I won't use
10 > it for a few minutes, but (AFAIK) this would waste energy and reduce
11 > lifetime. I want the DPMS modes of standby, suspend, off.
12 >
13 > Another solution would be to buy another mouse, but this would cost
14 > money and would not teach me the solution (this problem can manifest
15 > again in the future, with this or another computer).
16 >
17 > So I want a way to tell the kernel or X11 to ignore mouse motion.
18 > Either to shut down mouse motion completely, or to allow it but to
19 > ignore it for the effect considering the computer as idle. I have
20 > performed a quick read of kernel code and of the xorg.conf man page
21 > but I see no clue.
22 >
23 > Anybody knows?
24 >
25 Yes. What you need to do is write your own mouse driver. Call it
26 'crappydrv'. In this driver, you detect events sent by the mouse, but
27 then simply ignore them.
28
29 HTH,
30 -a